Field Recordings Archive Project

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Review of The Great Defenestration!!!

"Die Geister Beschwören translates to "call up the ghosts."  And I have to admit; I had to look up the exact meaning of defenestration, which is:  "The act of throwing a thing (or especially a person,) out of a window."  This Portland experimental folk ensemble certainly does both in this intricate 17-minute sonic spree recently released on SQRT Records.  Laden with field recordings, aching string and bass clarinet orchestrations, loops, haunting drums and vocals, it paints a lush, if not eerie, mental picture.  It's artfully-layered and quite well-paced.  Let me put it this way:  I started out doing stretches and meditation to it, but 4 minutes in, I found myself pacing the floors thinking, "This would be an amazing soundtrack if I ever have a rapid descent into terrifying madness and an eventual reawakening to my highest self!"  Both menacing and beautiful, The Great Defenestration is one intriguing fall from a window..."

Leah Brzezinski, Savage Henry Magazine